Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Worry Woes

"I'm in a hurry to get things done, I rush and rush until life's no fun."  (Thank you country radio circa 1995 for those lovely lyrics.)  Sadly, don't we all identify with this?

We all have a million things going on in our lives.  Whether it is related to school, work, family, or extracurriculars, the bottom line is we are all very busy, most of the time, too busy for our own good.

While worry revolves around various daily pressures, 99.9% revolves around the future.  But why do we worry about tomorrow when all we have in our control is today?

The best way to minimize anxiety is to pinpoint its source and determine a plan to manage it.  For me,  finding a job when I graduate law school is my biggest source of stress.  Not only do I want to find a job, I want to find the right job.  I want to find a job that I enjoy, with people that enrich my life, and that I am excited to go to everyday.  It's out there, I know it is!  But finding it is about to make me lose my hair!

To try to manage the impact the job hunt was having on me, I decided 1) to calm down, breathe, and tell myself (usually multiple times a day) that it is going to be okay and that I WILL get a job; 2) I devote a certain amount of time each day to the hunt and when the time is up, it is up until tomorrow; 3)  I pray and remind myself that God has big plans.

I was especially struggling last week and the negativity was really impacting me.  The following verses lifted my spirits and helped remind me that everyone has substantial stress in their life and that God has all of our backs.

Joshua 1:7:  Be strong and very courageous...that you may be successful wherever you go.


Joshua 1:9:  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.


Matthew 6: 34:  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.


John 14:1 Jesus said "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me."


1 Peter 5:7:  Cast all our anxiety on Him because he cares for you.

I hope these help lessen your worry this week, too! Remember, we are strong, we are capable, we are intelligent, we are loved, we have so much to be thankful for.

Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen.  Keep in the sunlight.   - Benjamin Franklin 
Bottom Line:  Have Faith & 


2 comments:

KH said...

Alex,
So uplifting. There is a plan for you in your life, love and career. Love all those verses.

shelbyb said...

love this al!