Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Quarter Life Crisis

The quarter life. It's the life no one tells you about. Or is it new? I am inclined to believe that this is a unique consequence of the 21st Century. I'm a woman, I'm 25, and I am trying to make every major life decision in a matter of months. Helloooo....aren't we supposed to be prepared for these things?! Especially as a Christian, I am supposed to remain calm and put all of my faith in God's plan. There is just one problem, we all want to take our lives by the reigns and plan. Plan it all. At 25.

For me, my 25(ish) craze began with one, well...two big decisions. First, I decided to go to law school. Second, I broke up with someone I dated for a very long time. Talk about a life adjustment.

At the time, I thought I had lost it. Literally. I had always felt so in control and so sure of my plans and then all of the sudden, as if blubbering while being called on in class wasn't enough, I was single and totally confused.

Challenge yourself. Be yourself. You are capable. You are intelligent. You know what's right.

It's amazing how trusting yourself can bring the biggest reward of your life. Not only did I find myself, I grew in my faith, focused on my incredible friendships, and found the man that constantly encourages and challenges me.

I learned that while things might not make sense at the time, there is a reason, and to always remember that God has BIG PLANS. BIG. But sitting on the couch isn't going to help either of us fulfill those plans.

How do you decide what you want to do professionally, how do you find "the one," where do you want to live, and overall....who do you want to become?

I'm getting a law degree and I am trying to figure out the best area for me to practice. A law degree is so valuable because the options are endless...but everyone knows I am horrible at making decisions! I know I want to use my degree, but I also know that I want to become a wife and mother. I want to continue to put my relationships first, but I want to be successful professionally. I want to be a positive and encouraging friend and family member, I want to inspire others, and I want to live a Christ-filled life that I can be proud of.

For now...I am going to hold my head up, focus on my faith, and as I was told by a friend today...."just keep on trucking."


http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/features/22864-what-to-know-when-youre-25ish

No comments: